[at-l] Veteran's Day 2003

In Arlington National Cemetary stands a a marble sarcophagus, carved from a single 50 ton block of white marble. The first remains were placed in the tomb 11 November 1921.
On March 25, 1926 orders were sent down directing the formation of an armed military guard at the Tomb, during daylight hours only. On April 9, 1932 the guard was increased in size, and ordered to begin 24 hour shifts. It has been gaurded 24 hours a day by the Old Gaurd of the 3rd Infantry Division ever since.

The Sentinels Creed
My dedication to this sacred duty is total and wholehearted.
In the responsibility bestowed on me never will I falter.
And with dignity and perseverance my standard will remain perfection.
Through the years of diligence and praise and the discomfort of the elements,
I will walk my tour in humble reverence to the best of my ability.
It is he who commands the respect I protect.
His bravery that made us so proud.
Surrounded by well meaning crowds by day alone in the thoughtful peace of night,
this soldier will in honored glory rest under my eternal vigilance.

The panel of the front, facing the City of Washington and the Potomac, has carved upon the marble a composition of three figures commemorative of the spirit of the Allies in the War. In the center of the panel stands "Victory", with her palm branch to reward the devotion and sacrifice that went with courage to make the cause of righteousness triumphant; on one side a male figure symbolizes "Valor" and on the other stands "Peace." Each of the sides is divided into three panels by Doric Pilasters, in each panel of which is carved an inverted wreath. On the back appears the inscription "Here Rests In Honored Glory An American Soldier Known But To God". This is the only inscription appearing on the Tomb.

On the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month, the president places a wreath in front of the tomb.