[at-l] Gear! good god y'all--what is it good for...absolutelynothing! (say it again)

On the importance/unimportance of gear wars:
Everybody (I trust) has offered his (yes, I mean *his*) opinion on this, and many more than once--or twice.  I wonder if I am alone in being unable to a) distinguish or b) care who took which position.  As somebody pointed out, you're down to arguing semantics.  Can we simply say gear is just as important as you choose to make it?

Lilla
  P.S.  Speaking of gear, whatever happened to the Smiths?  ;)