[at-l] The equipment doesn't matter!

It's really hard to add much to Jim's excellent post, but what the hell.
I'll say it then delve deep back into lurk mode.

Bob writes >> My message is simple. These are personal choices. And for a
few prospective thru hikers at least, those on a tight budget, it's better
to carry a few extra
pounds than not to hike at all. I am confident that I could do a thru hike,
carrying only stuff readily available in a few weeks of diligent searching
at
Good Will and Salvation Army Stores. <<

I don't think on the face of it, anyone would disagree with the statement.
However, it would probably be a bit more useful if instead of simply stating
that carrying additional weight might at times be preferable, to actually
state what you carry (or would) and why.

A few extra pounds could mean anything from a sturdier tent or warmer
sleeping bag to a couple extra pairs of blue jeans. In other words, simply
explain your system and why it works for you.

On the topic of why equipment means much less than experience, here's
another story that hopefully will clarify the discussion. I've specifically
chosen one where the conditions are as harsh as possible (short of being in
outer space).

Years ago when both Scott and Amundsen were battling to be the first to the
South Pole, Scott and 4 of his companions perished on the trek back to base
camp. A fact, which I'm sure, everyone knows. Scott's failure and subsequent
death didn't come from lack of equipment or even improper equipment. It came
from his blind belief in his equipment and his failure to learn how to use
it properly for the conditions.

In the months prior to Amundsen's journey to the Pole he lived with Eskimo's
learning to live in the artic. Combined with his years growing up in Norway
and using skis, he was well prepared to travel comfortably and safely
through the artic environment.

Scott preferred to do none of that. Even though his party carried skis,
their inability to use them, meant that they were carried instead of worn.
As a result Scotts expedition underwent significant hardship and eventual
death, while Amundsen's was smooth, fast and relatively easy. Even though
both expeditions were undertaken at the same time.

It's not that gear isn't important, it's that without knowledge it's useless
at best and dangerous at worst. Plus relying on gear to overcome your lack
of experience in sever conditions can be the most dangerous situation of
all.

-- Fallingwater