[at-l] Newcomer...tent vs hammock

Rob wrote:
>I want to thruhike in 02 (NOBO) and I'm not sure what kind of shelter to
>take.  I definitely will be taking some kind of shelter because I don't
>want
>shelter distances to limit my mileage (although I hear the social scene at
>such
>place may be hard to stay away from).
>
>So what do you suggest for a lightweight shelter (tent/hammock/etc)?  All
>input is greatly appreciated.   Thanks and happy trails!!!!!!

My God - a "real" question.  Thank you for asking.

First - congratulations on being smart about the shelters -

Shelter - you'll likely get a whole range of answers - I hope.  My choice is
a tent - but not just any tent - the one I'm using now is evidently no
longer available but it weighs in the 2.5# range.  My next one - soon - will
be in the same range.  Possibly Ron Moak's latest Six Moon Designs version.
Thought about that last year and didn't do it cause we didn't really need it
then.  But this is a different year.......

There are other lightweight designs out there.  Most of them will do the
job.

There are a lot of people who swear by a hammock.  They don't do my back any
favors so I'm not likely to go that way.  And I don't really think they save
any weight.  And I've been in too many places where I'd have to set it up as
a tent anyway (no trees).  But many of those who have used them love them.
As the man says - HYOH.

>Rob (I don't have a trail name yet, but heres another question - can I
>choose my own trail name or does it have to be given to me?)

Again - there are other opinions, but I chose my own.  I wouldn't have
accepted one from someone else in any case.  Your Trail name will be with
you a long time so choose it - or accept it - carefully.  I know a lot of
people who didn't like what they were "given".

Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead?  Your old favorites are always
playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!