[at-l] Trail Food, How do you carry 7 days

 >> Thus, I think that from time to time heavier packs are useful. We've
recently
 praised a book about Mount Washington that cites scores of deaths, caused
 mostly because hikers failed to carry sufficient winter gear, i.e. their
packs
 were too light, or conversely needed to be heavier. Not heavy, heavy, of
 course. That is also dangerous and leads to failed hikes, deaths and
excessive
 town time. Just heavy enough for the conditions to be expected, with a
little
 leeway for safety. <<

I always find it ironical that in our postmortem analysis of why things
didn't go as expected, our first gut instinct is to blame the gear. Too much
gear, too little gear, wrong gear, and on and on and on.

Knowledge is infinitely more important than gear and it's gained primarily
through experience, ie trial and error. Too often we lament when things go
badly when instead we should be rejoicing. Why, because failure means we're
pushing ourselves to the limit. We're exploring unknown regions both
mentally and physically.

Failure is simply another bridge we need to cross and we should be thankful
anytime we can afford to pay the toll. So instead of worrying about the
possibly of failure, be damn glad your out there living!

-- Fallingwater