[at-l] Trail Food, How do you carry 7 days

>"...As interesting as this topic may be the level of personal animosity
>exhibited does little to forward any real argument."

I think the dialogue would be more informative and enjoyable if we could just
train ourselves to express our views about the trail and hiking techniques, with
out characterizing the views of those who have different opinions with such
words as "immature," "irresponsible," "lazy," or "totally and unbelievably
wrong."

 The latter comment for instance was in response to the suggestion that some
 hikers may carry too little clothing and as a result have to spend more time in
 expensive towns keeping warm. Certainly this happens from time to time. I know
 because four of us once spent three days in late March holed up at Fontana Dam.

 Thus, I think that from time to time heavier packs are useful. We've recently
 praised a book about Mount Washington that cites scores of deaths, caused
 mostly because hikers failed to carry sufficient winter gear, i.e. their packs
 were too light, or conversely needed to be heavier. Not heavy, heavy, of
 course. That is also dangersous and leads to failed hikes, deaths and excessive
 town time. Just heavy enough for the conditions to be expected, with a little
 leeway for safety.

 Rather than reporting bending over in laughter, a commentor might better simply
 point out, for instance, why the comment: "Light weight for most requires an
 early start," is wrong, which it clearly is. Light pack weight obviously
 doesn't "require" early starts. It just from time to time accompanies early
 starts.

 Part of the problem with calling silly comments, silly, or illogical comments,
 illogical, is that few if any of us, produce carefully composed, carefully
 vetted statements. Mine, for instance, tend to just flow off my fingers, often
 unaccompanied by the thinking brain. Therefore, calling me illogical, just
 naturally produces illogical responses.

 Weary