[at-l] Trail Food, How do you carry 7 days

RnR writes:
>       Jim is correct in saying a lightweight hike at 25-30 miles per day
>and
>2-4 day resupply is probably the ultimate form of getting up the Trail -
>but
>in all of Jim's alleged Trail wisdom he completely ignores the fact that
>the
>*average* through-hiker won't come close to attempting this approach. The
>*average* through-hiker are the same persons Jim scolds Weary over, yet
>goes on to
>cite a hiking form that no average hiker will ever attempt.

No Roks - I didn't advocate the 30 mpd hike - I simply said that Weary's
statement was wrong.  In fact, all of my thruhikes have been "designed" to
spend maximum "time on trail".  We took 6 months to do the CDT - which is
something the experts told us COULD NOT be done.  But even taking that much
time is no excuse for carrying a heavy pack.  Nor is there any excuse for
the *average* thruhiker to get beyond Neels Gap with a heavy pack.  And it
would be a whole lot better is they never got beyond Amicalola with a heavy
pack, so there's no excuse for advocating that they start with a "heavier"
pack.

>          More likely, the persons who Jim is worried about falling off the
>Trail due to bad logistics are more likely to be carrying something similar
>what Weary references. -That is, a heavy pack. We all know most of them
>won't
>be coaxed away from this pack until they get some Trail experience and
>confidence. (yours truly included) I'm sure Jim would agree.

Yes, Roks - we finally agree on something.  But that's STILL no excuse for
advocating the heavy pack.

>         What Jim tends to ignore is that on-trail exposure leads to a
>sense
>of prolonged wilderness immersion.

No, Roks - I didn't ignore that at all.  But your "sense of prolonged
wilderness immersion" is utterly wasted on those who are too wasted and
hurting at the end of the day to care about it.

>I'm sure Jim is willing to dispense with all of that in order to scold
>Weary for not getting the hiking formula just right. -

No, Roks - If someone else gave bad advice here, I'd have the same kind of
reaction - Weary is incidental  - the statements were nonsense no matter who
said them.

>Jim is all too
>ready to dismiss simply because his partial Trail view (based mostly on
>personal
>politics -and not a respectful understanding of the Trail's background and
>purpose) allows him to.

No, Roks - I dismissed only those things that are utterly ridiculous.  Has
nothing to do with personal politics, much less my "understanding of the
Trail's background and purpose."

>you have to do it equally. For instance, if some in the Trail community
>don't
>like the sound of fundamental Trail advocacy (and that advocacy is based on
>sound and registered AT principles) that, indeed, is also "tough" -isn't
>it?

Your fundamentalism is legend - and typical of extreme fundamentalism of any
stripe. But you have yet to make any viable case for "sound and registered
AT principles," Roks - on either this list or on TA.

>               Sorry Jim, but from reading your writings I get the
>impression
>that you would also respond that it is "tough" about Greylock and the race
>course.

Sorry, Roks, but I've gotta ask - what have you contributed to the
opposition to the racetrack except mouth?  Have you written any letters of
opposition?  Or maybe given money to the ATC so they could continue the
fight?  Maybe you should tell us on what basis you presume to judge anyone
else.
(uh - by the way - yeah - I have)

>And there's just a little bit too much of "not saying" happening in the AT
>community now a days for me to be totally comfortable...

Uh - Roks - this isn't the other list you're thinking about .  Most of us
feel no need hype our trail related activities.

>          The bottom line is that anything that leads to increased
>infrastructure for convenience will inevitably come at the expense of the
>Trail's wild
>quality.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

This from one of those who claim shelters and outhouses to be necessary
Trail infrastructure.  Sorry Roks, but I've been pushing for ten years to
get rid of the shelter system for precisely the reason you claim I don't
even understand.  Where have you been all that time?

Have a good day anyway -
Jim

Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $26.95.