[at-l] hiking poles

Weary wrote:
>Well, a sharp-pointed metal hiking pole can certainly be used as a weapon.
>As
>could my 10 ounce alder sapling, with a 1.5 inch, soft rubber tip.

I'm glad you realize that.

>But I somehow think that in a fight the Leki might win -- except possibly
>in the
>hands of someone as skilled in such arts as Jim.

But this has nothing whatever to do with me or what I'm capable of, does it?
   So why do you feel the need to personalize it?

>Someone posted a message some months ago, claiming canes and walking aids
>are
>still allowed in passenger cabins. Does anyone know if that is true still.
>With
>some minor modifications I could make my walking stick look remarkably like
>slightly long version of a handicapped person's walking stick.

I thought you just admitted that your hiking pole could be used as a weapon?
  So why do you think you should be allowed to carry it on an aircraft?  If
you can do so, then anyone else can as well.  Including Osama's buddies.

I think some one else here sorta called that attitude "immature."  I'll add
that it's also "irresponsible."
I suspect those words would accurately characterize anyone who's too lazy to
package their hiking pole(s) and ship them as baggage.

For the rest - I'm glad you're getting out - especially for trail work.
It's good for you. But watch out for those falls - I fell while I was
clearing trail on the AT the weekend after Isabel wandered through here -
and broke a finger.  <G>

Walk softly,
Jim

Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead?  Your old favorites are always
playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!