[at-l] Trail Food, How do you carry 7 days

>"...Wouldn't an early start mean a heavier pack since you're carrying more cold
>weather gear if you start March 1 as opposed to May 1?"

Logically, yes. And in reality yes. But judging from the gear lists I read on
this and other sites, many don't carry enough cold weather gear, and thus end up
with more days in town.

I can only surmise about the reasons, but the thru hiking window has expanded in
recent years. A few decades ago hikers tended to start in April and early May.
and finish in late August thru September.

 My impression is that now January and February starts are common, but the
 average ending dates remain about the same.

 Whatever, I know I would head for town quite frequently if I carried only the
 cold weather gear I see listed from time to time. I'm not saying the new trend
 is wrong. I love winter hiking and backpacking. But I would have to carry more
 than some ultralighters say they carry, or make frequent trips to the shelter
 of towns.

 Weary