[at-l] Re: Trekking poles wood vs commercial

hopefl wrote:
>I saw many broken poles this year. If "commercial" poles are used, I
>recommend buying an established named brand. These are easily repaired or
>replaced by outfitters because of the desire on the part of the
>manufacturers to keep a good reputation.

>Looking back I wish I had been using Leki or another brand name. By the
>way, if this years is a good measure of pole durability, about 1000 miles
>of continuous use is all poles are good for. At that point some repair or
>replacement is needed.  Hopeful

Hopeful -
First, welcome back.  It's good to hear your smiling voice again.  I heard
you were at the Gathering, but somehow we just never connected.

Now - about poles - we have a pair of Lekis that were used for the PCT, the
CDT and a lot of miles before and after.  In 2000 one of them developed a
problem for the last 100 miles of the PCT.  In 2001 Sly took them to Trail
Days for us and the manfacturers rep fixed them. They had something over
7500 miles on them when they had to be fixed.  Now they have another 1000
miles and they're still going strong.

And I didn't pay $100 or more for them.  Got'em on sale for (I think) $69.

Walk softly,
Jim

Send a QuickGreet with MSN Messenger
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_games