[at-l] ThanksGiving weather/ Southern AT

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:10:36 -0500
From: "Tim Woodworth" <hiker_00@hotmail.com>

I plan on starting at Amicalola on 11/13 and ending my section
in GSMNP right around Thanksgiving.  I've never hiked this far
south before and I don't know what to expect.  <snip> I imagine
the weather we are having now; temps high in the mid 50's and
lows in the upper 20's,  rain threats daily, flurries and light
accumulation likely, will be the norm.  <snip> Weekend traffic
on the trail high but weekdays very low.  The chance of
getting shot, possible.

### Tim, I've been hiking in the Smokys at ThanksGiving twice.
(That I'll admit to.) Saw very few people; would think that
south of GSMNP, the only thing you'll see is the knot of
southbound throughhikers heading to the Springer barn.
Weather-wise, one trip was 65*F ish during the day, the other
warmed up to 8*F the first morning (and stayed below freezing
all the way to Davenport Gap). Your summary above sounds
accurate enough: I'd "expect weather."

Sloetoe