[at-l] In your neck of the Woods?

Hello H-Bird,

I saw your ATL posting and was happy to find a fellow hiker who might give me some idea what I'm getting into.  I plan on starting at Amicalola on 11/13 and ending my section in GSMNP right around Thanksgiving.  I've never hiked this far south before and I don't know what to expect.  Two years ago I did a section starting south from Harpers Ferry in April.  April in the South has to be nice right?  Well hell it was in the teens and snowed!  I had summer gear and froze my butt off.  I didn't even have a hat with me.  Stupid but true. So I'm asking first this time.

Also, my apprehension comes from 2002 here in Pennsylvania at the end of November.  We had the beginning of our terrible winter right at the same time.  Temperatures were at and below zero for weeks; snow cover lasted until March.  I know north Georgia is far away from northwest PA, but I do not really enjoy long distance winter hiking.

I image the weather we are having now; temps high in the mid 50's and lows in the upper 20's,  rain threats daily, flurries and light accumulation likely, will be the norm.  Outfitters, hostels, and campgrounds will be closed for the season.  Weekend traffic on the trail high but weekdays very low.  The chance of getting shot, possible.

So, what's it like in your neck of the woods?

Thanks,
Tim

PS.  Do you think there is a chance I'll find a trailside restaurant who knows how to appreciate sausage gravy and grits?  I asked for that in a restaurant in NY and the waitress said "Both? Together?"  I can't even find it here in PA. At least my wife has lived in South Carolina and knows how to make it.    geeze.