[at-l] what a day for a hike

I had a little hike planned for today - a couple of friends wanted to
hike with me and about three weeks ago we just sorta pointed at a date
on the calendar, and said "we'll hike then."  Well, "then" arrived today.

And what an incredible day it was here in the Whites.  We did the hike
up the Hale Brook Trail to the top of Mt Hale (#18 for me of the 48 NH
4000 footers).  This is a relatively easy (for the Whites) 2.3 mile hike
from the trailhead up to the top, with an elevation gain of about 2300
feet.  What surprised us was the amount of snow.  3 inches at the bottom
as we started.  8 inches on the top, with drifts up over my knees. I
didn't think to take my gaiters (no snow at all here at home, just 5
miles from the Pinkham visitors center), and that's really the only
thing I would have done differently.  I had expected some snow at the
top, but not for the entire trail, and not the depths we saw. Pants got
pretty wet before the hike was over.  But it was fun hiking, and so
absolutely beautiful.

The clouds were really high today - well above the summit of Mt
Washington, so there were great views of the Presidentials on the way up
and down.  (Obstructed views on the top) The clouds were so dark, and
the sunlight so bright that the mountains absolutely glowed against the
dark background. They were dazzling.  And then the clouds would get
swept away for about 15 minutes of incredibly deep blue skies, and then
the next batch of clouds would come in.  Add to all that a heavy snow
load on the fir trees, and a layer of rime ice forming at the top on all
the firs and bare branches there.  It was such an unexpected winter
wonderland today.

I'm a happy hiker.

suz