[at-l] There are good summers and there are....

I told a friend about our great summer of hking and camping and here is what he sent me.

PA (MA & PA 99)

I have a splitting headache. I just took two aspirins and am drinking
coffee. It's dreary and cold here today. Ok, I'll stop complaining, but
it seemed fitting to talk about my disastrous summer and/or holidays.

Kilarney Provincial Park did not go as planned. We were supposed to do
the 100km trail in 8 days. HA! Two days in and one day to get outta there!
Shameful! We weren't ready. It was still hot in the first week of
August, raining and humid, the trail was (almost) as hard as the Fundy footpath
and the *&?$/"!&&@ mosquitoes were by the &*?%@ millions. I was carrying
over 45 lbs. That's just too heavy man.

Anyways, it is a very beautiful place, not busy and campsites are reserved for you only.
I wouldn't mind going back better prepared and after the mosquitoe season (after september 6,
there is no need to reserve campsites).

I went in the Adirondaks with my daughter (V?ronique) in September. I
took a trail from the Keanes Valley which is about 16 miles past Lake
Placid.

V?ro was scared to death when a bear kept us awake all night and ate
our food on the first day. I was kind of shitting in my pants myself. The
food bag was over 20 feet in a tree but bears now know how to pull it down
with the cord. The ranger had warned us (because of previous incidents
including the night before) and had given us a bear canister to protect our food
but since there wasn't enough room I still had to use a bag up a tree.
Those bear canisters work and I'm getting one. We couldn't reach the summit
of Haystack the next day and since V?ro didn't want to camp out again at
the same spot, we had to go back. It was a nine-hour walk back to the car.
That trail which I forgot the name offers incredible scenery and bears won't
stop me from going back (only mosquitoes will). Just to top off this
short trip with greater pleasure, the border guards had me throw away about
$15 worth of beef jerky (made in the USA), because of the mad cow thing,
and I got a speeding ticket, $130 Canadian, in Malone NY on the way back.