[at-l] Hammock + pack question

Santerer wrote:

"At ALDHA Ed Speer had his hammock on display with the "Pea Pod" in place.  It looks as if an empty backpack could be put into the "Pea Pod" under the hammock (thereby keeping it safe from predators) yet close at hand.  The convenience of a Speer Hammock with the removable Fly, Bug Net, etc., and the Pea Pod  sleeping bag cover providing warmth is a winner."

An empty backpack can be put in the Peapod as well as any extra clothing, etc. It will make it significantly warmer. It's probably easier just to hang the almost empty pack from the strap at the head of the hammock if you think you might need something in it. Usually, I just hang the items I know I will need in a small stuff sack and put my now practically empty pack in a garbage bag or pack cover under the hammock, against a tree, etc. Just as I would do if I was in a tent. Granted, it is easier to access that stuff in a Speer or a Clark, but there are just some times you either face the skeeters or go without. As far as peeing goes...for safety sake, it's wise just to grin and bear it and get out of bed. Hammocks are made to have a low center of gravity and if you try kneeling, you have just changed that center of gravity. You could cut down on the heat loss of getting out of the sleeping bag thing by getting one of the bags which open at the bottom too.

POG