[at-l] Hammock + pack question

I don't really understand why you'd want the pack in the hammock with you.
I have a Clark that has pockets under the bed to hold clothing and gear
that I want access to and don't want to leave on the ground. The Clark is a
decent hammock but is better for car camping than back packing IMHO. It's
too heavy and I'd prefer a larger rain fly.

I have Ed Speer's book and went to both his workshops at the Gathering. He
has quite a system with a stand-up shelter (the separate tarp), a hammock
with bug net that easily doubles as a chair and a sleeping bag that goes
around the outside of the hammock so that you aren't compressing the
insulation. All that weighs a total of 4#. My sleeping bag weighs 3+# and
it doesn't keep my butt warm below 50? in my Clark hammock (which weighs at
least another 2 or 3#). Ed's solution is not to take the pack into the
hammock with you but to put all your extra clothing/soft gear into the pea
pod bag below the hammock so that it adds to your insulation underneath. I
will definitely be making my own version of the Speer style hammock this
winter. His is the most well thought out system I've seen. Check out his
web site http://www.speerhammocks.com/ or at http://www.hammockcamping.com/.

I am also interested in getting a Hennessy Asymmetrical for warm weather
camping (July). It is a very nice design but would be more complicated to
stay warm in. The tie outs on the sides complicate any external bag design.
FWIW We don't generally have a lot of really warm weather up here
(Adirondacks). I've awoken to partially frozen water bottles in both June
and August.  Near freezing or freezing temperatures at night are almost a
given mid-September through May in the Adirondacks, so a system that makes
allowance for insulation underneath is important to me.