[at-l] Safe Water and Statistics

Jim writes:

"Not quite - that was 1 in 5000 PER LITER of untreated water - not 1 in 5000
overall.  So for a thruhiker who's on the Trail for 180 days and drinking 4
liters per day, the odds are more like 720/5000 or 14.4% (about 1 in 7).
And that's an overall average - for the whole country.  The rate of
contamination for the Appalachians is 50% (more than twice the average)
which makes the odds for an AT thruhiker more like 31.3% or almost 1 in 3.
Ooops ---"

Not exactly, Jim.  With the information given, it could be far greater than
1 in 3.

Determining the odds as 1 in 3 are not so easy from the information
provided.  Lets say we accept that everyone (a gross simplification) gets
sick if they drink a 500 cooties a day, and no one gets sick if they drink
less than that amount (also a gross simplification).  Now lets assume that
4999 out of 5000 liters of water has 300 cooties in it.   Pretty easy to
figure out that almost 100% of the people who who drink one liter won't get
sick, and almost 100% of those who drink who drinks two liters a day will
get sick.

The important thing I get out of the article (and Jim's observation that
hikers drink alot)  is that there need be some daily critical mass of
cooties before any individual gets sick, and yet that your body does not
accumulate this critical mass over days.

I am not sure what I will do with this knowledge, other than to be a bit
less concerned about stuff like reusing a water bottle that once held stream
water, or by accidental contamination of a filter hose, or after fishing a
cap out of a stream that has been dried off.   I am also going to be
increasingly wary of those situation where I am likely to be dealing with a
critical mass of bugs, like when taking my filter apart.  No way am I ever
going to make the mistake of soaking the entire filter element in a
bleach/iodine solution again.

The nature of a daily critical mass of bugs also makes me wonder whether or
not those who don't filter are better off getting there water from many
different sources thorughout the day, or from just one.  With realistic
assumptions, I'll bet that is something that someone with a good
undertanding of probabilities could figure out.

Anyway, this is interesting stuff to think about.  I enjoy reading of
everone's perspectives.   It's one of those topics that will no doubt be
discussed for years.  In the absence of any concensus (if you think there is
little here, go check out www.whiteblaze.net) I think its great that
Backpacker has finally published an article that tried to do more than
simply parrot the same old maxims, and personal anectdotes.

Rick B

(who was never sick along the trail or in a number of hell-holes but still
filters most of the time)

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa