[at-l] Safe water debate

>"... I quit filtering several years ago.  I do carry a bit of bleach to add to
>problematic water, but I mostly just drink the stuff..."

I found the article more interesting than a lot of the messages recently, so I
mentioned it. Water, however, is trail related and I assume not everyone has
been around for past discussions. And the Backpacker piece was the most
exhaustive discussion of the issue that I've seen.

I also mostly "just drink the stuff." On my 2,000-mile walk in '93, I carried a
dozen WW II Army surplus iodine tablets and threw most of them away when I got
home.

 I'm convinced that humans are the major vectors for water borne diseases so I
 try to take my water from as high on the ridges as possible and to walk up
 stream a few yards from the trails and campsites before dipping my cup in.

 In areas of heavy hiker use, I often boil a couple of quarts evenings for use
 the next day. Boiled water tends to be tasteless, but slopping around in my
 water bottles tends to reintroduce oxygen and improves palatability. Since I
 use a wood-burning Zip Stove, fuel is not a problem.

 It's my impression that it's grease left from inadequate washing, rather than
 soap scum, that makes people sick, though grease tends to collect in the scum
 of poorly washed and rinsed dishes. But I find a little common sense diligence
 eliminates the possibility of both grease and soap scum anyway.

 I'm not sure what those who substitute alcohol gels for soap do about
 dishwashing. I might experiment, but after months of casual search of store
 shelves, I've yet to find the stuff. I'm sure it must be there, but somehow I
 never seem to see it.

 As for Jim's comment. His calculation of a 14.4 % chance of getting sick from
 trail water, conflicts with the good doctors claim that catching giardiasis
 from water found in the wilds is about as rare as beach goers getting eaten by
 sharks.

 Each hiker will have to decide for themselves which claim is more believable.

 Weary