[at-l] Safe water debate

In a message dated 10/20/2003 10:46:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

> For me, it's a matter of
> responsibility - telling someone "I didn't filter and I didn't get sick"
> ALWAYS requires the disclaimer "but that doesn't mean you can get away with
> not filtering."  As well as an explanation as to WHY

OK.  I didn't filter and I didn't get sick, but that doesn't mean you can get
away with not filtering.  It also doesn't mean that I wont get sick.  That's
why I carried Flagyl on my last long duration hike.  I also choose my sources
somewhat wisely and treat or boil as needed.

In Afghanistan, with open sewage, one would pee upstream and another would be
washing fruit and veggies down.  I also drank the water and didn't get GI in
the 9 months I was there, so perhaps, I'm not the best to ask!  : )

Sly