[at-l] "Summit Stories".... Fwd: September 11, 1979

September 16, 1999,

	As I made my way across tableland Baxter peak occasionally peeked
through the clouds. I still have that liter of water I picked up at
Thoreau Spring :-). As I climb the final peak the sky opens up.
There at that famous sign is Cobweb, (smiling like you wouldn't
believe). He started out a bit earlier than me today (well he does
clean the cobwebs that way). I had purposely given him a few minuets
head start so he could summit alone cause I didn't want to crowd his
accomplishment. After all he was finishing a thru hike and I had just
met up and walked across a good portion of Maine with him.
	Yahoo I am there or is it here. Anyway it is a great exzzzzileration
to finish the AT. Shucks I get that feeling every time I watch a thru
hike movie or listen to someone's presentation. Its a great feeling of
accomplishment. The experience must be overwhelming for a thru hiker
who has been at it for months. Me I been plugging along 18 years and
some 5,000 miles before I finally have walked all the AT at least
once! My longest time out was one 28 day trip in 1982. Besides that
there are lots of two week trips and less. That's just not the same as
a thru hike. Still its sure worth doing and I had plenty of rest time
in between hikes. Actually I had only concentrated on finishing the AT
over the last few years. This years hikes amounted to two, two week
excursions that carried me from Franconia Notch to the top of the
Great Mountain.
	Along comes Blister Butt to join Cobweb and myself on top. We take
bunches of the required photographs. Soon others arrive and we get
someone to take a group shot with each camera. Oh and I get a couple
with my big ATL banner too.
	Now I have on all the cloths I brought and I am getting pretty
chilly. I slip away from the crowd and hide behind a big boulder. My
first cell phone call is to my brother Woodelf who wishes he could be
here too!
	On the way back to camp I run into Fanny Pack AT96 and trail angel.
He and the Old Phart are out for a day hike on the big K. Back at camp
Pittsburgh is waiting with warm beverages. It sure was nice to run
into Pittsburgh a couple of times in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. And
then again at Abol bridge! He had a campsite reserved there and also
had multiple shelters reserved for us the last night before we made
this big climb up Katahdin. It was nice to have shelters for most of
the bunch I had been hiking around the last couple of weeks.
	Sir Pees a Lot and the JoJo crowd had summated the day before. They
had skipped ahead about 60 miles between the hurricane flooded
Pleasant Rivers so they could make it on time to Bill Irwins spaghetti
cookout at Elks. I think Jilibe and her husband also summated the day
before.
	Pittsburgh delivered us to Milinocket where I spend three days
waiting for my Shuttle and Bangor Flight home. Don Cogswell of the
Appalachian Trail Inn was an excellent host. 40 years of service to
the hiker. I went to end of trail fest and got to see Earl Shaffer
show his 1949 slide show again.
	Maybe it won't take 18 years for my second section hike. I am already
half way there! Anybody want to hike? The weather is getting perfect
for hiking.

chase