[at-l] Are hostels/motels really a necessity?

Kelly, the biggest points for me to stay in town are the chance to get a
hot shower and using the hostel as a base camp while taking care of
groceries, laundry, etc... no, hostels and motels aren't a necessity (I
mostly stayed in hostels), but I've got to say that my restaurant tabs far
exceded my motel/hostel costs. Most of the church hostels (if not all) only
request a small donation (what's the latest $? - it's been a while for me),
so if you cook your own meals you will have some opportunities to stay in
town cheap.

Speaking of cheap... you should track down Weathercarrot (might be a little
difficult, he was heading south from the Gathering...). He is the "Master
of Cheap" <vbg>, I think his PCT thru-hike was on the order of $1,200. He
uses tricks like camping just before town, heading in and taking care of
business, and then heading back out. I think he's also taken "zero days"
within walking distance of town. I'm sure he has other tricks that I don't
know about.

skeeter