[at-l] 2004 SORUCK...

Pittsburgh here.  Please raise your hand if you intend on attending the
2004 SORUCK...

There has been some very good feedback on the SORUCK (SOuthern RUCK)
thus far, all being positive for Camp Thornwell in SC.  So, unless
there are any last minute major objections, I believe Camp Thornwell
has won competition to be the site of the 2004 SORUCK. Sunny (camp
caretaker and '02 thru-hiker) will be very pleased (if any of you see
her at the Gathering, please let her know)...

Camp Thronwell is a church related camp for at-risk children.  A
suggestion was made to "give back" to the camp/church/children, and I
think that would be a splendid idea.  Being hikers, I'm sure we can
find time during the weekend to maintain the trail that rings the
facility.  Beyond that, I have some fairly painless fund raising ideas
that may be able to help also.  I'll speak with Sunny about where in
particular some funds are needed...

I'll get a SORUCK website going on friends.backcountry sometime in the
near future.  Don't hold me to any dates though.  I'll try and get
Sunny to post soon with particulars on costs so you all can start
making reservations...

Any ideas for activities at the RUCK are welcome.  Please email me on
or off list.  Right now, I forsee a $3.00 soup lunch (painless)
fundraiser on Saturday, and a potluck (everyone brings something)supper
on Saturday.  I'd like to see two people offer to make breakfast, one
on Saturday and one on Sunday.  We could have a garage sale (painless)
fundraiser, with everyone bringing whatever hiking related stuff they
no longer need.  We'd pile it all in a corner somewhere, with a big jar
for the cash.  Just pick out what you need and throw in some funds.  Of
course, it would be great if there were a slide show or two.  Bring
your own projector and screen.  And, friendly backpacking vendors are
always welcome...

My new wife, Barb (whom some of you may have met at the PA RUCK in
January, when she was my fiancee) is somewhat acclimated to you hiker
trash, but she still has some reservations (smart woman).  She has
offered to spend her weekend coordinating the kitchen.  This is
something that would please her very much, would keep her busy, and
would make her weekend more worthwhile...

My new son, Ryan (16 year old), whom few of you have met, is enamored
of you hiker trash.  Please give him a memorable weekend...

Pittsburgh, Barb, Ryan