[at-l] On Topic, for a Change---

In a message dated 10/7/03 11:50:15 PM, lbooher@pure.net writes:

> I saw this in a catalog today, and I want to know what some of you think of
> it.?
>
>  Do not follow where the path may lead.
>  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Like you mention, it's not to be taken too literally; obviously, Emerson was
hitting on the "March to the beat of a different drummer" theme, etc.....

However, I do see the literal concern of trails being blazed every which way,
leaving no leaf unturned. A scary thought....

My take on this is that you should hike your own hike, no matter where you go
or who you go with. I take the best from each of the hikers that I have the
pleasure to meet, but it all gets filtered uniquely through me, and makes me
the only person who can blaze that new trail in just my own way. Yeah, we may be
sharing the same earth under our boots, but my step's a little different, my
gear's a little lighter (or heavier), and my attitude is fresh....

I made the mistake a few years back of following everybody else's path in the
woods. I ended up with some pretty damn sore feet and not much else. Felt
empty for the longest time. Then I started out on my own and found my stride...

It's a good feeling, it is, to be walking in my own boots these days....

PeaceSpring