[at-l] On Topic, for a Change---

I saw this in a catalog today, and I want to know what some of you think of it.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

                                                    Ralph Waldo Emerson

At first, I thought, oh that's neat.  Just as quick, I could see little trails where people had cut through switchbacks, trails crisscrossing everywhere like game trails, erosion, and I could see the admonitions from on high warning us to "Stay on the Trail".  I know that this isn't supposed to be taken literally by the general public, but how does it strike you?

anklebear