[at-l] OT: Updated Florida Hurricane Prep.

>"...All those folks living in those beach front condos have been living in a
>fool's paradise and may soon find out why," reports Bryan.

And he is absolutely right. Unfortunately, the victim will be the taxpayers.
There is legitimate criticism of many government programs, but the worst in my
mind is so called "flood insurance."

 On the coast of Maine, at least, flood insurance mostly allows wealthy people
 to build and rebuild at the expense of the peons. Sea level is rising. Major
 coastal flooding is inevitable. Federally-subsidized flood insurance mostly
 just insures the wealthy from suffering the expense of their choices of living
 on the edge of a rising sea.

 The Bush "compound" in southern Maine was virtually destroyed a decade or so
 ago. You and I helped rebuild it in the same location and in the same manner to
 await destruction in the next storm.

 When it will hit is anyone's guess. But hit, it surely will, as Benedict Arnold
 learned in the mid 1700s, when he used Maine to launch his ill-fated invasion
 of what is now Canada.

 All that has changed in 2 plus centuries is that the storms have become more
 frequent and more damaging.

 I escaped Nova Scotia a week ago when Juan was predicted to hit the province.
 We hung around until 3 p.m. watching the famous Truro tidal bore. The radio was
 full of warnings that the storm would reach shore by 6 p.m., but most ordinary
 people pooh poohed the likelihood of major damage.

 I almost agreed with them. But at the last minute, I decided to drive west out
 of the storms way. Five miles from where we had planned on camping in a
 three-person ultra-lite LL Bean backpacking tent, 29 yachts were destroyed, the
 shorefront emerged as a jumble of destroyed buildings. Luxury restaurants and
 motels had roofs and whole walls swept away.

 The most fascinating thing? This country's increasing monopolistic press
 largely ignores Juan, once it became clear it would only impact those "novies".

 Weary