[at-l] Kent. Ct???

On 9/26/2003 6:26 AM, Mark Hudson wrote:
>  I recently saw an article about the general situation of thru-hikers
> passing through Kent CT. One of the pastors there is trying to get the town
> to set up a central kiosk where water and info can be obtained. Was that
> link posted here? If so can some one point me back to it?
>
> Thanks,
> skeeter

NYT September 19, 2003
Life on the Appalachian Trail, Watching the 'Pilgrims' Go By

http://tinyurl.com/ov5d

<snipped from the body of the article>

"We see them as pilgrims," said the Rev. John Carter, the minister of
St. John's Episcopal Church on Main Street in Salisbury, which opens its
doors to hikers in need of a bathroom, a drink of water or a place to
rest. "It's like something out of `The Canterbury Tales.' They're on a
spiritual trip."

Mr. Carter has been trying to improve the hikers' lot, leading efforts
to get the town to buy or build "a hospitality hut" for them, a place to
shower and gather themselves for the remaining journey (about 700 miles
to Mount Katahdin, Me., or 1,400 to Springer Mountain, Ga.). Mr. Carter
would also like to organize a shuttle service to ferry weary hikers from
trail to town. Not everyone agrees with him, but few would deny that the
trail and the surrounding communities are intimately entwined
<snip>

Steve