[at-l] re: Accents OT

Accents are charming..who wants a nation of Tom Brokaw
sounds alike? :D

On my AT thru, one of the joys of hiking down south
was listening to a Southern accent. At the time, my
Rhode Island accent (think New York with a strong dose
of Boston) was lot thicker than it is now and  tended
to stick out a bit!   It would be shame with
television, movies, et al with we lose some
regionalisms. A cohesive national identity is very
important (think alittle war was fought in the 1860s
about that...). But when I go back home to visit, it
is actually nice to hear people drop their Rs, stretch
out vowels, etc. after hearing the "nuetral" way
people speak in the Front Range.

About accents coming back: my buddy Tim hiked the last
week of the PCT with me. As we were hiking up to Rainy
Pass, I said "Look..I think we are near the pass. I
see a gahd rail". Took Yogi and Dewey a moment to
realize I meant to say GUARD rail. Three years  I lost
most of accent....in three days of hiking with a
friend..it came back. Sheesh. :-)

=====