OT follow-up (was) RE: [at-l]NOT OT: Banned Books Week

Gregory A. Benkert
>>Dawg wrote:
>>I am concerned that it has gotten to the point that you really are frowned
>>upon in the USA for having a differing viewpoint these days.
>
>Dawg, why would it concern you as to whether or not someone's viewpoint is
>"frowned upon"?

Red -
Because it could mean jail time, maybe?  I know a couple Muslims (among
others) who've experienced that.

Or maybe, as Shane pointed out, because it could mean you and your entire
family dying because there are those who "frown on" your religious beliefs -
with no repercussions to those who "frowned" on your viewpoint?

>Isn't "dissent" and "frowning upon" really the same thing?

In the context that Dawg used - not even close.

>I strongly disagree.  In fact, never before have there been so many avenues
>open to individuals to express themselves.  When I was young, my views and
>opinions rarely made it past my family, co-workers and neighbors.  Now, I
>have the ability to reach thousands.  This message alone will be read by
>more people than I could have ever hoped to reach just a few years ago.

And none of that relates in any way to what Dawg said - does it?

>And I can type whatever I want.  No one is stopping me.

Yet ---

>What does seem to be changing is peoples ability to accept criticism.  It
>seems to me that more and more people believe that they have a right to say
>whatever they wish without being challenged and without assuming the
>consequences.  And that if someone challenges them or disagrees with them,
>or even boycotts them, it is tantamount to taking away their right to
>speak.  It isn't.  All involved are just exercising their freedom.

That part I can agree with - mostly.  But it still has nothing to do with
what Dawg was talking about.

>I can't think of a single instance where someone has been prevented from
>saying anything.  In fact, it seems that wackier and wackier things are
>said every day.

Hmmm - really?  Tell ya what - try expressing a KKK vewpoint on a college
campus.  If you're a student, it would be interesting to see how long it
would take them to silence you by trial before the Student Council. And if
you're not a student, how long it would take for the campus cops to forcibly
eject you.   Is the KKK a "wacky" viewpoint?  Yep - big time.  But it's also
a form of dissent that's not tolerated.  It's "frowned upon"  and silenced
as a matter of course on most college campuses.  As are many other
viewpoints.

Or maybe you'd like to propose an alternative to, say, the Big Bang theory
and see how fast the science establishment would shut you down.  Being
denied access to publication is another form of being "frowned upon."  And
silenced.

If you can't think of a single instance where someone has been prevented
from saying anything, then it's because you're not paying attention - not
because it's not happening.  And it ain't gettin' any better.

Walk softly,
Jim

Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage.
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es