From: "The Weathercarrot" <weathercarrot@hotmail.com>
To: lparker@cacaphony.net
Subject: Re: Smokies snow
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 21:25:21 -0400

<< I don't suppose the snowfall data you accumulated can be used to forecast
time when there will be the _most_ snow on the AT in the Great Smoky
Mountains National Park? I want to do a winter thru of the park and I _want_
lots of snow! >>

as is typical with the southern appalachians, the time of greatest depth can
vary greatly from one year to the next. while spring can bring the biggest
storms, january/february have the better chance for stable snow-pack,
although it is possible for it to disappear completely at any point of
winter. your best bet is to keep track of the weather pattern and follow the
daily reports coming out of the smokies:

http://www.srh.weather.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXSTPTYS&version=0

and remember that whatever the reported depth on LeConte, there are
generally areas in the vicinity that have more than the measuring site. to
have the most snow, you may have to do the hike without planning very far in
advance. sorry this is so vague, but that's the way snow is in the high
south.

take care,

wc

Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam