[at-l] TR - Seven Falls, southern AZ

A pretty good  9+ mi hike through a desert canyon to waterfalls in
spectacular, monstrous rock formations.  Far less ATM (Ankle Turning
Madness) than the last one; there were actually spots when you could put
your foot down flat once you got into the canyon (bliss)!  I went out with
my newly-procured-from-eBay St. Christopher medal hanging from one of the
zipper pulls on my pack.  He must be related to St. Patrick because I didn't
see any snakes this time.  The medal bounced lightly against the zipper
sounding *precisely* like the jingle of a dog license tag, prompting me to
look over my shoulder more than once to see if someone's dog was coming up
behind me, lol.

There were 14 total stream crossings, which was good experience for the AT.
I learned:  1) I am not crazy about stream crossings, and 2) I shouldn't
take a Benadryl the night before doing stream crossings because it affects
my balance, interestingly.  I had a gallon of water with me so my pack was
nice and heavy for the first half of the trail, at least, definitely good
for stream crossing experience (just not with  Benadryl side effects).

After the stream there was a climb up onto the canyon wall with some
mountain goating and a scramble across some huge sheer granite rock faces
(which must look AMAZING when it's pouring rain, not that I'd want to be in
a canyon during pouring rain) to the falls.  Usually you can swim here, and
I'd brought my suit just in case, but the ash coming off of the mountains
from the fires resulted in water that could only be described as "brackish"
at best.  The sound was pure heaven, though, as only a waterfall in the
desert can be.  I sat on the rocks and ate my lunch (the trail bars were
great!) and nearly fell asleep to the sound of the falls.

On the way back I passed a few hikers about midway heading into the canyon,
which was odd, since it was approaching noon and it was nearly 100F.  Mostly
they were college kids, no water, no packs, nothing, just shorts and
sandals.  My Irish skin and the desert sun don't mix so I make sure I'm
about as covered up as someone in a burqua.  (My best hiking companion:
http://tinyurl.com/na3s )  The kids looked at me with a small day pack and
covered arms, legs, and neck like I'd just arrived from Mars.  "Um... you're
the ones starting a hike through the desert midday in summer with no water,
no emergency gear, and you're burning to a crisp lobster red..."

A good hike, but I think I'm done with rocky desert canyons for now... I
want trees!  And green, if I can find it, so the next hike will have to be
up in the mountains somewhere that hasn't burnt down!

Kelly Whitman
INTP
"There ARE no other women like me."  -- 7 of 9

Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.