INTROVERTS vs. Extraverts (was) RE: [at-l] all things conside red

I remember a SF series about a rich "playboy" who joins a space age Foreign
Legend.  Anyway he finds an ultra-introvert in his unit (he's the officer in
charge).  He believes firmly in finding the right position, etc. for each of
his soldiers.  This lady (it's a coed unit) is very, very shy.  But alone
and in the communications center, she is hell-on-the-air, and becomes
essential to the unit.  Only everytime she steps away and is in public, she
becomes extra shy.

Maybe we all are MPDs -- multiple personality disorder. ;-)  That is, we
have different outlooks for different situations.  We can be EXTROVERTS
online and when we're drunk ;-) but we shrink in in-person group situations.
I know a girl who is really extroverted one-on-one.  Then as the "group"
gets bigger, she shrinks.  She hikes some now and someday she plans on
hiking one of the LD trails.  And she probably will succeed if she can stay
alone.

Maybe what we are facing is not true internal extroversion or introversion,
but situational extroversion or introversion.

Also, I think part of the "lone-hiker" syndrome is more of a stress-group
dynamic thing.  We can do things in groups when we have to.  We can do
things in groups when we are fairly stationary.  But when we have to closely
co-ordinate over miles and miles and more miles, it is easier to walk alone.

William, The Shy Turtle