[at-l] Birdsong CDs

That sounds like it. Three discs is a bit much to digest, and they
recommend that you don't listen to the whole thing at once. I thought I'd
be listening to it over the winter to learn the songs, but there's no birds
around then and I lack incentive. When there are birds around - I'm out
hiking <g>.
What I've ended up doing more often than not is returning from a trip and
identifying the unknown call I heard... and that works out pretty good. I'm
even pretty sure I heard a Yellow Throated Warbler on my Finger Lakes
hike...
BTW, that last disc that links the birds to their habitat is really good -
I don't have to remember the call so much as where I heard it. If I heard
the call in an old overgrowing field, and I can remember a bit of the call,
I can usually find it on the disc.
If you're dedicated enough to actually sit and study the calls, or even
stick them in your car CD player so that you hear them over and over during
your commute, you'll pick the calls up a lot faster than I'm doing.

skeeter

                      "Lilla Thompson"
                      <lthompson@hollin        To:       Mark Hudson/Fishkill/IBM@IBMUS,
                      s.edu>                    <at-l@backcountry.net>
                                               cc:
                      09/10/2003 01:17         Subject:  RE: [at-l] Birdsong CDs
                      PM

skeeter-
  This sounds like _Birding by ear_, one of the titles I found.  I'm
interested in hearing what you think of it
Lilla

I've got a 3 disc version at home, I'll have to try to remember and see
what the title is. Covers east of the Mississippi, the first two CDs cover
each bird, and the last CD puts them together in their habitat. I don't get
to listen to it as often as I intended to (still trying to remember the
difference between a Pileated Woodpecker call and a Flicker <g>) , I should
make that a New Years resolution...

skeeter