[at-l] NOBO vs. SOBO

Mags wrote:
>--- Jim and/or Ginny Owen <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com>
> > with a 20+ mile walk back through the desert to the
> > nearest paved road.
> > Eminently unimpressive.  Makes the PCT finish look
> > real good.  <VBG>
> >

>Actually, I am taking the sage advice of you and Ginny
>and finish in Columbus. Hiking three miles and having
>a celbratory drink in Palomas sounds better than
>watching the tumble weeds blow. :-)

We thought so - although we're still dithering about whether to go north or
south next time - and which of the three southern terminii to use - and
whether to do the "official" route through the Malpais (it's still a 40-mile
waterless stretch through the lava beds plus another 70 miles of pretty much
waterless roadwalk) - or something else.  Lots of decisions.  <VBG>

>(You'll also be happy to know I have a CDT to do list
>on my desk...verify mailing addies, calling some
>places, pick up certain maps, and asking about th
>grocery situation in some towns..but, I think I will
>take the rest of that conversation over to CDT-L after
>the Gathering next month. Still have to finish up my
>PCT and LT handouts. :D)

Cool - we'll see you there - and at the Gathering.

> > when the hunting seasons
> > occur in each of the southern states - and wear
> > "hunter orange."
> >

>A very important point! Something I forgot...

Seems everyone else did, too.  Actually - if you're going north to south
next year, you need to keep the same thing in mind.  Hunting is BIG business
in the Rockies - really BIG.  I know you can pick up orange clothing in
Creede - that's where we got ours.  The moose loved it, the coyotes ran like
rabbits and the elk serenaded us.  <G>

You're gonna have a really super hike - I can see it comin'.  <VBG>

Walk softly,
Jim

http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es