[at-l] Re: alternative trails and other stuff

Weary wrote:
> >"...I haven't seen anyone opposing either trail protection - or new trail
> >construction, Bob.  Only indiscriminate and unscrupulous land
>acquisition."
>
>I'm sure someone can find an instance that they consider "indiscriminate
>and
>unscrupulous land acquisition," but no one has presented any serious
>evidence of
>same to date.

Of course they have - but --- "There are none so blind as those who will not
see"  <G>

And hopefully, I'll have no more to say about that.

For the rest of your answers - I had to make some conscious decisions about
how to answer. I could write volumes about them - but I won't.

Your answers are mostly unsatisfactory from my point of view - but then,
they're not my answers.  They're yours, and there's no requirement that they
satisfy me, is there?  I'd like to think you'd adopt that same attitude
about others - but you never have before, so I guess I won't expect that.
But there are a few questions that I will ask - mostly out of curiosity.
The answers could be interesting.

> >"...You want public preserves - so --- how much?  Where?  Why?
>
>Where? is easy. Where ever land is on the market at a fair price adjacent
>sections of the trail, where buffers of less than a mile exist, a wise
>government would purchase same.

"Buy"  --- by what means?  ED?  Or as an open "competitor" rather than the
9,000 lb gorilla?
But more to the point - why would the government buy it?  Why not ATC
(although ATC is a quasi-governmental agency)?  Or other land trusts - or
the Nature Conservancy?  And what happens when ATC or the land trust - or
the "government" - is outbid for the land?  Or the seller refuses to sell it
to the government?

Funding is another whole can of worms - maybe we'll get to that another
time.

>The same is true of lands that may be needed to expand hiking opportunities
>and
>loop trails connecting to the AT.

Why only those that connect to the AT?  Why do you think the AT is the
center of the hiking world?

>The "how much" depends on how much may be available. The Appalachian Trail
>is an
>incredible public resource, that will become more valuable and protection
>more
>important with each passing year.

I wouldn't disagree with that - but the question becomes - what kind of
protection?  Just 'owning" the land doesn't necessarily protect it.  Even
when the government owns the land, it's not necessarily protected.  This
isn't an argument - I have some ideas, but I don't have real answers.  But
I'd like to see if you or anyone else has any ideas.

>The where? also is where ever a willing seller can be found.

So what about "unwillling" sellers?  For example, sellers who want to keep
the land in the family and want to pass it on to their children?

>Why? Like jazz, if you have to ask, you will never know.

No - you misunderstood.  I want to know why YOU feel as you do.  I want to
know if you can put it into words (define it) or if it's just a warm fuzzy
squishy feeling that you can't define?   I know what "I" feel - and your
"assumption" that I "don't know" just means you're in reaction mode rather
than thinking about what you're saying.  Those who "don't know" don't do
multiple thruhikes, and plan for more - or spend their weekends hiking and
maintaining trail - or give money to land trusts - or spend their vacations
backpacking - or ---- a lot of other things.  Do they?  So I'll repeat that
question.  Why?

As I said - I think the answers - and the resulting discussion could be
interesting.  It's where we should have started two years ago.  I doubt that
we can go back there and start over - but --- I'm curious about whether you
(and some others - including myself) have what it takes to try.  I know I've
tried several times before - but it didn't take.

Walk softly,
Jim

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95.
https://broadband.msn.com