[at-l] List Down?

      I seem to not be receiving the List suddenly. I was interested in
responding to a post about me by Jim Owen in the archives, but somehow the List
isn't coming through. This isn't the first time this has happened.

     Jim wrote:

    " You're also wrong about RnR.  He has a vision of a 10 or 20 mile wide
swath of "wilderness" running from Springer to Katahdin - although he once said
he'd settle for 2 miles on either side of the Trail. "

        ***    For brevity's sake - The 10-20 mile swath is something that
corresponds to natural systems, not economic. Someday, probably after the great
environmental collapse, people will pause long enough to consider the value of
natural systems before they scoff them off as being a source of ED problems
and little else.

      There are lengthy paragraphs that could be written, but suffice to say,
Jim Owen, and even those people who were the subjects of the acquisitions,
all enjoy the natural surroundings and 'viewsheds' those land assumptions
contain. I think it is a sign of the incompleteness of his arguments that he fails
to connect the enjoyment he gets from a GSMNP view while on the Trail and the
means by which it came about.

     Lastly, it was MacKaye who wanted national forests in areas like New
Jersey where the Trail went through suburban streets with ranch houses when I
hiked. He shot for that scale at the start because he was smart enough to realize
what is happening now. So, the argument doesn't fairly originate at ED, it
originates at what the Project was meant to be and how it was initially going to
be brought into being.

         I'm sorry, but hypothetically, if I had to choose between Jim's
concept and its outcome and total ED of a wide and viable corridor I would
painfully chose the latter. Why? Because after the injury and insult was done,
posterity would inherent a small corridor of original Appalachian hardwood forest. I
don't see Jim offering any other plan. Frankly I'd like to see nature win one
for a change. If Jim were equally angry about the giant rip-off for waste
acreages on Saddleback I would sense he was sincere. His lack of mention of such
exposes his myopic land rights-based AT perspective. No matter how unfair ED
moves were on certain individuals, this is worse as far as the AT. In all of
Jim's arguments you'll notice he never mentions any description of the AT's
conservation cause as an attached item to the Trail's purpose. That is because his
partial concepts can only 'work' without it...

     " RnR's vision for the Trail is a disaster - not only for the AT - but
for every other trail in this country. "

              ***    Short version:   Continued sprawl is a disaster period.
This isn't changing, and eventually those landowners will feel the pinch and
subdivide. We have many examples next to the AT today. Those cases are just as
bad, if not worse, than the individual ED cases you provided. Why? Because
they are also a sort of "ED" of their own. The domain they claim, and show no
mercy over, is that of continued development and growth and consumption of open
space. When they come and build dense condos next to the Trail (Lakes Road, NY
- Pennsylvania) they are showing the same kind of willful negligence towards
the AT and its purpose as those agents are showing towards those ED subjects.
The fact that Jim omits and entire relevant side of this "AT formula" only
highlights the failing of his argument. To value Jim's opinion correctly, consider
that he considers this kind of Trail support talk a similar type of
imposition on this List...

      What some in the older generation fail to realize is that we are
currently at the point of choosing between one 'disaster' or the other. If those
landowners decide to develop over those other LDH trails, it is important that
the process be caught on video and shown to the world. America develops over its
LDH trails...

       " Who ever told you it should be "easy"?  They lied.  Life isn't easy
- hiking the Trail isn't easy - why should anything else be easy? "

      ***   Trying to involve the Trail community in this kind of productive
dialogue isn't easy either.

                   Jim is right. There is no excuse for people to be taken
advantage of in the name of the Trail. I think the best way to solve this is to
figure how greater AT support can be won and better funding elicited from our
government. Public support is critical. But I don't see how that support will
be gained if a Trail insider focuses exclusively on incidental wrongs without
accenting the greater plan in its entire perspective. It wouldn't be
"rational"...