[at-l] Bad ankles, and tight laces vs. loose laces.

Kelly,

Reference your post, dated 9-6-03, which I missed; I’m reading a snippet
from Amy’s post, dated 9-7-03.

You advise, “I had my NB 804s very loosely laced because they're a bit snug
with two pairs of socks ...”  And, “Because the laces were so loose, when
the rocks wrenched my ankles ... the shoe twisted and didn't take my ankle
with it because there was enough room for my ankle to stay upright within
the shoe while the shoe twisted instead, sparing me countless ankle
sprains.”  You ask, “Does that make sense?”

I’m not that familiar with NB 804s but aren’t they soft shoes, not boots?

If you have bad ankles, you will probably be far better off wearing leather
boots.  I realize this goes against the tide of current lightweight hiking
but you are much more likely to get the support you need from a stiffer
leather collar which covers your ankle.  My leather boots allow my feet to
shift to some degree but they also reinforce my ankles.  They provide far
more support than my soft shoes.  Conventional thinking holds I will not
cover as many miles per unit of time.  So what?  Build in a little
additional time.  You will complete the hike.  There is no such guarantee
with soft shoes.  Their only guarantee is to reduce fatigue.

I have found similar “nonsense” regarding hiking poles.  I use the term
“nonsense” because many lovers of hiking poles will consider what follows to
be “nonsense.”

When I use hiking poles, I can catch myself when I fall.  So far, so good.

When I don’t use hiking poles, my incidence of falling is probably reduced
about 98%.  Why?  Recall Ray Jardine’s admonition to pay greater attention
where you place your soft shoe clad feet.  I pay attention to where I place
my feet when I walk, regardless of footwear.  That is, I pay attention to my
surroundings AND two other things.   One hiking pole increases my attention
downward by 50%, two hiking poles doubles my distraction from the
environment.

I don’t know why anyone else hikes.  I like seeing what nature offers, not
my feet or poles.  If you hike to acquire bragging rights that you
through-hiked the Pan-World Trail in only one year, have at it and ignore
your surroundings.

Every time I have walked over rocks crossing streams, mom nature has always
loaned me hiking poles.  I return her favor once across.  Mom and I have
that kind of relationship.  She’s very generous in her own way; I’m sure
she’ll cut the same deal with you.

Good hiking.

Steve

Use custom emotions -- try MSN Messenger 6.0!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_emoticon