  From: RoksnRoots@aol.com
  To: AT-L@Backcountry.net
  Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2003 3:14 PM
  Subject: [at-l] AT License Plate

        Now that things have settled down I just wanted to clarify something about the AT license plate bill hatched from this site. I don't know whether it was on this List, TA, or ATML, but somewhere along the line I mentioned the idea of an AT license plate. It was in this light that I suggested that "Thru Thinker's" worthy success at getting an AT license plate going in North Carolina evolved from my input. I had assumed the others who referenced the GSMNP plate were doing so from my mention.

         The main point wasn't establishing whom was owed credit. I think we all agree Thru Thinker is the one for that. The point was that the idea came about from the action of Trail advocacy. I don't think the detractors realize they are making my point for me when the reacted the way they did. For instance, one poster acknowledged correctly that the idea evolved from my "Tax Form" post. However, in order to keep the right level of denial going he qualified that by saying my tax form idea was "unworkable". I don't exactly know how he knows that, since nobody ever tried to work the tax form plan. But realize, the license plate idea was "unworkable" too. "Grey Owl" tried doing it up in Pennsylvania and it was declined. So, by "Black & Blue's" own standard, the license plate was also "unworkable".

          Thru-Thinker was diplomatic and avoided the controversy all together. However, I don't think he ever said anything to deny that an active interest in organizing productively for the AT was responsible -which was my point. If those doing the harsh criticism would reflect honestly and rationally for a second they would realize that the license plate idea would not have been carried out if the tax form idea didn't exist. And this is my point all together. The point being that I find it difficult to avoid a basic glaring conflict between praising a good AT support action and recognizing how it came about. I would ask those condemning me to honestly answer whether that AT plate would exist if I had not brought up the tax form idea. The honest answer is -no- it would not. Call me picky or self-conscious, but I think it somewhat unfair to be universally sold, by some, as some kind of List problem when that traceable good can't be denied. Therein lies the point I was making. It speaks a lot for greater issues involving those who stand for the Trail and how they are viewed by the general AT community...

       I'm not sure exactly what the moderator's standard is for imposing List rules, but one thing I've learned is that calling someone a "sack of lying shit" is apparently acceptable...

                 - "R&R"