[at-l] satellite phones & GPS

Brad wrote:
>Has anyone taken a satellite phone for emergencies on the AT, Maine & White
>Mtns in particular?

Brad -
I don't carry anything like that, but I'd think for the Whites a cell phone
might work - and would be a lot lighter.  Three weeks ago, I watched a group
in the Canadian Rockies trying to connect with their satellite phone.
Notice - I said "try".  I wasn't impressed by either the weight or the
performance - and neither were they.  YMMV

>Also, any good GPS info?

I believe the AT has been mapped by GPS - the results will probably be
available lin the near future.  The only question in my mind is why one
would need GPS on the AT.  The AT doesn't exactly present any major (or even
minor) navigation problems.

Walk softly,
Jim

Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality!
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam