[at-l] Trail History Clarification Requested

At 05:17 PM 9/5/2003 -0400, Jim and/or Ginny Owen wrote:
>So - what's your definition of "very often"?  And why do you think even
>"once" is acceptable?

So what's the solution? Close the AT (not to mention the National Parks)
and give all the land back? To whom? The last people who owned it prior to
the AT/Park or the natives it was taken from before that? Which tribe? They
took land from each other before the Europeans showed up.

Perhaps we should outlaw eminent domain and make the government pay
whatever the "owner' demands regardless of how unreasonable? Or maybe give
up on public projects to benefit the larger society every time one
landowner objects? That would eliminate most highways as well as the AT and
Park system. Some things are not as simple as they appear. Hmmm...Where
have I heard that before?

Eminent domain is not unique to the US. Our notion of 'ownership' of land
is a relatively recent notion though. For centuries kings owned all the
land in their domain and use of the land was a reward for loyalty. In other
societies it was held by the tribe. Even in the US 'ownership' (and always
has been) is subject to loyalty in the sense that if you don't pay your
taxes you will find out who really owns the land. This has been true from
the beginning of the country. Just ask the Tory Loyalists who were forced
out after the Revolution.

My take is that the only things I own are those I can take with me when I
die. The rest is a trust. I hold may it for a time, but it isn't really
mine. If I believe otherwise, I'm suffering from delusions.

Saunterer