[at-l] My first lil section hike - and a change to the AT in NJ

Hey everyone.
I just got back from my very first short section hike.  The original plan
was to go out for 6 days and try to get about 60 miles done.  This
unfortunately didn't happen - I guess it was wishful thinking.  We started
out at Sunrise Mountain in NJ (I had previously done about 5 miles of the
trail from there going south, so I figured it would be a good place to go
north from).  We started out with about an 11 mile day going to High Point
Shelter - i think that was a little much for our first day cause we were
beat!!! So we kept our mileage shorter than that the rest of the trip.  We
ended up hiking 4 days, staying in Vernon at the Hostile one night, taking a
day off and then hiking the last day for a total of 36 miles.  Not too bad
for beginners I guess :)  All in all it was a great time - the views were
beautiful, the feeling was great (except for when i fell over swatting
misquitos and bashed my head on the ground) - I just hope that with time,
it's not so difficult to climb those hills :) (and I hear NJ hills are much
easier than most on the trail!)

Leigh

OH - I forgot to mention: there was also a change to the trail right before
Vernon - on the AT maps for NJ (I think it's map 4 of the NY/NJ set) there
is a part that says 'pending relocation' or something like that.  The
relocation was completed last year and now there is a lot less road walking
to do - they built a very nice bog boardwalk that goes for about a mile i
think - very pretty to walk thru!

<b>Get MSN 8</b> and enjoy automatic e-mail virus protection.