question Re: [at-l] Bears bags, fires, and leaving the trail

> (Below)
>
> >>If you camp, you'll generally be away from the mice (although not
always).
> >>Then if you bear bag, do it just at dusk and you'll avoid problems with
> >>squirrels.  Most of them are not nocturnal.  As for raccoons, if you use
> >>parachute cord, they can't climb it because they can't grip it - their
> >>paws (fingers) are too big to grasp it.
> >
> >Does the Kelty Triptease count?  It has a nylon sheath.
>
> I just bought some of this, but the packaging says to "treat it as a wire"
> and not to use it over tree limbs... anyone have experience with this?
The
> salesman told me it was just required propaganda that they were printing
> (CYA) to minimize impact on trees.  Would this stuff cause damage?  Bring
> branches down on my head if I try?
>
> ~~Jennifer

There is another reflective cord available.  I will have to dig around to
see if I saved the label.  It has a much better "feel" and slightly larger
size than the Triptease version.  As to the cutting effect of the Triptease
brand?  My guess is it would cut live bark quite well.  As for the wood it's
self?  I doubt it.  Just enough to kill or damage the area in ran
over/through.