[at-l] OT: Lightbulb question...

I wasn't intending to disparage attorneys, in general.

I hope the list didn't take it that way.

I too know many honest attorneys.  I fact, the one who told me this joke is
one.  He loves good jokes on his profession, or otherwise.  BTW -- He also
will carry an envelope in his jacket to various social / civic affairs which
he has to attend.  When someone [most often a physician] complains about
people asking for free [medical] advice on such occasions and ask if they
could bill for it, he answers that they can, takes out the envelope and
hands it to the other person saying it is the bill for legal advice.  Then
he'll smile take it back and say something like, "But in this case just
donate the fee to...[usually the cause of the gathering]."

Some time ago, I posted a message about a man taking a substantial down
payment from me for some work, at the same time that he was in the process
of going out of business.  I went to a local attorney.  For his $50 initial
consultation fee, he advised against paying an attorney to represent me at
that point, as I might be throwing good money after bad. He went on outline
my options and suggested that I personally file the General District Court
forms for a Warrant in Debt, Interrogatory, etc. to get more facts on the
table.

Without boring every one with the details, so far I got a judgment, and then
an unconditional personal guarantee of a time payment plan, I have recovered
$1,726.26 and I expect to recover the full amount, plus court cost and 9%
interest.  All for the $50 paid.  This attorney could have taken my money
and run, or could have done the work he felt that I could do myself and
eaten up a good hunk of my recovered money.  Rather, he gave me an half hour
of his time, some good advise, and the information I needed to research the
case and get my money back.

Chainsaw