[at-l] Why I want to hike the AT

You don't need to thru-hike to invent cuss words. One of my Army buddies was a Mormon and had his own expletive. When he felt the urge to curse he said "snake spit".
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: KellyGoVols@aol.com
  To: at-l@backcountry.net
  Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2003 5:31 PM
  Subject: [at-l] Why I want to hike the AT

  The why number 3:  To be able to come up with new cuss words, and use said cuss words with gay abondon. Example given below:

    As we are descending, we meet a young adventurer out alone with full pack, about age 12, happy, confident, carefree. We comment on the boy's ease in the treacherous ridge. Fifteen minutes later, we met his brother and father, huffing up the ascent. We tell the father with admiration that his son is at the Skookumchuck Trail intersection; I mispronounce the name.

    "SKOO-come-chuck!" he snaps crossly, correcting my enunciation.

    Thereafter, "Skookumchuck!" becomes our all purpose expletive and word of general exclamation, as in "Oh Skookumchuck, I've forgotten my whole roll of toilet paper at the last privy!" or just plain, unembellished "SkooKumchuck!" It says it all
  For some reason, that appeals to me.

  GoVols