[at-l] Menu item suggestions

I found this on www.thebackpacker.com,  the poster is stovestomper.... I
thought it was worth sharing in our forum as well.

Sparky!

CHILI WITH BEEF, BEANS, AND CORN CHIPS

1/3 cup dried ground beef
1container (or 2) Dr. McDougall's Vegetarian Chili with Beans & Corn
Chips(Health food store)
Small package of Fritos
1 cup boiling water

TAMALE PIE WITH DRIED BEEF

1/3 cup dried ground beef
1container (or 2) Dr. McDougall's Tamale Pie with Baked Chips (Health
foodStore)
Small package of Fritos (optional)
1 cup boiling water

SPICYORIENTAL DRIED PORK AND RICE

1 cup instant white rice
1/2 cup dried pork (found in oriental markets)
1-2packets of Cholula Hot Sauce (I suppose any will do but this is the best)
1/4 cup freeze dried peas
1/2tsp. sugar
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp.extra light olive oil
1 1/4cups boiling water

BEEFSTEW WITH RICE

1/3 cup dried ground beef
1/4 cup freeze dried peas and carrots
1/4 cup dried diced potatoes (off the supermarket shelf)
1 tbsp.dried onions
1 pkg.brown gravy mix
1/2 cup instant rice
1 tbsp.extra light olive oil
2 cups water
Bring mix to a boil stirring periodically. Simmer for approximately 5
minutes.

CHICKENAND NOODLES

1/4 cup dried chicken
1 pkg.Raman noodles only
1 tsp.Schilling California Style Minced Onions White and Green Onions
1 pkg.Lipton's Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2tsp. Orrington Farms Chicken Flavored Soup Base and Food Seasoning
2 tbsp.bread crumbs
1 1/2cups boiling water
You can reconstitute the Raman noodles in cold water in a separate Zippy
for about 10 minutes and then pour the water off. This lets you just
pour inthe boiling water and still not get sticky, pasty tasting
noodles.

BLACKBEANS, BEEF, AND RICE

1 pkg.Teapot Soups Instant Black Bean Soup (Target Stores)
1/3 cup dried ground beef (reconstituted separately)
1/2 cup Minute Rice
2 tsp.extra light olive oil
1/2tsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp.Schilling California Style Onion
Pepper to taste
Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water to reconstituted ground beef and other
ingredients.

SPAGHETTI

1/4 cup dried commercial sauce. Run the sauce through a blender both before
and afteryou dry it. Dry it overnight until it is completely dry. If done
properly,after you run it though the blender the second time,it should be a powder.
Mix it with about a tbsp. or so of hot water in a snackbag, kneading the
sauce. It will reconstitute almost instantly.

1/4 cup dried ground beef (reconstituted separately, cold water will take
about 6 to 10minutes)
1 pkg.Raman noodles only
1/4 cup REAL Parmesan cheese
1 tsp.extra light olive oil
Boil the noodles as normal then pour off the water.

CHICKEN RAMAN STEW

1/4 freeze-dried mixed veggies
1 pkg.Raman noodles only
1/4 cup freeze dried chicken
2 pkgs.Lipton cream of chicken Cup-a-Soup
1 tsp.dried onion
1 tsp.extra light olive oil
Add everything, plus a cup or so of boiling water, to a pint Ziploc. Stir. No
cleanup. It's better if you boil the noodles as usual and pour off the water
before adding everything else.

VEGETABLEBEEF OVER RICE

1/4 cup mixed freeze dried veggies
1/4 cup dried ground beef (reconstitute separately)
1 cup Minute rice
1 tsp.dried onion flakes
1 tsp.extra light olive oil
Add everything, plus about a cup of boiling water, to a pint Ziploc. No clean
up.

STOVETOP STUFFING AND CHICKEN

1 tbsp.Butter Buds
1 cup Stove Top Stuffing mix for chicken
1/4 cup freeze dried chicken
1 pkg.Lipton's Cream of Chicken Cup-a-Soup.
1 tsp.extra light olive oil
1 and1/4 cup boiling water
Just dump it all in a Ziploc

TUNARAMAN AND CHEESE

1/4 cup dried tuna
2 tbsp.Kraft Mac and Cheese powder
1 pkg.Raman noodles only
1 tbsp.Dry milk
1 tbsp.Butter Buds
1/4 cup dried tuna
1/4 cup freeze dried peas
1 tsp.extra light olive oil

If you do the tuna like I do the chicken, it will reconstitute pretty  quick.
Boil them and noodles in 1 cup water.Pour all of it, plus everything else, in
a Ziploc along with a squirt of extralight olive oil. Add water if needed. I
like this better than regular MacNCheese because it's faster and no clean up.

CURRY CHICKEN AND RICE

1/4 cup freeze dried chicken
1/2 cup Minute rice
1 pkg.Lipton's Cream of Chicken Cup-a-Soup
1.5tsp. Schilling Curry Powder
1 tsp.extra light olive oil
1 cup boiling water
Carry all dry ingredients in 1 pint Ziploc bag. Add boiling water and let
stand. Noclean up.

TUNARAMAN ALFREDO

1/2 package Fettuccine Alfredo Tuna Helper sauce only
1package Raman noodles only
1 1/2 tbs. Butter Buds
2 1/2 tbs. dry milk
1 tsp.extra light olive oil
1 Cup boiling water

BEEFAND CHEESE MASHED POTATOES

1 pkg.potato flakes and 1 pkg. Seasoning from Betty Crocker Four Cheese
Mashed Potatoes
2 1/2 tsp. Butter Buds
2 1/2 tbsp. dry Milk
1/4 cup dried hamburger (reconstituted separately)
1 tsp.extra light olive oil
2 1/4 cups boiling water

CHILI AND RICE

2 tsp.Adams Chili Powder
3 tsp.dried powdered tomatoes
1 tsp.flour
1/4tsp. ground chili pepper
1/4 cup dried hamburger (reconstituted separately)
1/4 cup freeze dried pinto beans
1/2 cup instant rice
1-2tsp. extra light olive oil
1 tsp.dried chopped onions.
1/2tsp. sugar
3/4 cupboiling water

BREAKFAST

I just eat dry cereal in a pint Zip-loc with 1/3 of a cup of Milkman dry
milk. Add 1cup of cold water and breakfast is ready. Frosted Mini-Wheats seem to
work well. Milkman is definitely worth the extra time and money to track it
down. REI carries it. No clean up.

QUICKLUNCH #1

1/4-1/3 cup dehydrated tuna (or freeze dried chicken)
2 packets Mayo or Miracle Whip
1packet Sweet pickle relish
1 tsp.Dried chopped onions (optional)
Crackers or bread (separate)

Put all the ingredients in a pint Ziploc. About 10 minutes before lunch (like
when you first get to the lunch site) take the packets out of the Ziploc and
squirt some water from your reservoir into the Ziploc. The amount doesn't
matter as long as it covers the tuna and is enough. In other words, you can't over
do it. Whenyou're ready to eat just open the Zippy and ROLL the tuna up in it
like a .......ah....handmade cigarette to squeeze the water out. Squirt thec
ondiment packets in, kneed it all in, and you have tuna salad.

QUICKLUNCH #2

1/4 -1/3 cup dehydrated tuna, chicken, or ground beef
1/3 -1/2 cup freeze dried veggies ( I like peas, carrots, and green beans)
1/3 -1/2 cup instant rice
2 - 3 packets of Mayo or Miracle Whip

Put it all in a pint Ziploc. About 10 - 15 minutes before you're ready to eat
lunch just put plenty of water in the Zippy. When your ready to eat just use
the ROLL out the water method to get the water out. Put some salt and pepper
on it and you've got cold salad for lunch. You can replace the rice with freeze
dried pasta if you like.

SECRET HAMBURGER TECHNIQUE

Brown Xpounds (I usually do 4 - 5 pounds at a time and store it in the
freezer) extra lean ground chuck. As it is browning, add Sweet Basil and fresh
garlic totaste. Break up the ground beef as much as you can. If you want it to keep
for an extended time at room temperature, rinse it in a strainer in the sink
until you feel you've gotten out as much fat as you can. If you are going to
use it for short trips (a week to 10 days),don't rinse that yummy garlic out.
Just drain it well, dehydrate it well, andstore it in the freezer. It should
end up pea gravel sized when dried. I use a store bought dehydrator. I dry it
until it is rock hard.  If you've broken it into small enough chunks, it will
reconstitute  as the water is coming to a  boil. It willalso reconstitute in
cold water in 10 minutes or so for tacos, etc. I use 1/4cup in most things I
make,except chili. It tastes pretty much normal, if you know what I mean.

QUICK CHICKEN AND TUNA TECHNIQUE

The Swanson's canned chicken tastes best to me. Put a large can of chicken in
a chopper. I use a small hand operated plunger type chopper. Chop the chicken
until all the chunks and fibers are chopped  up.This allows it to
reconstitute in just a 2 -3 minutes in cold water.  Dry it hard in a dehydrator. The same
system works for tuna. Either of these work well for lunch. I just squirt a
little water in the small Ziploc I've stored it in as soon as I stop. By the
time I get situated, it is reconstituted. I drain the extra water, add the
appropriate number of mayonnaise packets and pickle relish. I also carry cheese and
crackers.Makes a great lunch. They also work well with Tuna or Chicken
Helper. I just boil the pasta separately, then add all of it, plus boiling water to
a Ziploc.No clean up.

SLOW CHICKEN

Take chicken breasts and remove as much fat and tendons as you can.  Either
grill it or fry it in a skillet with cooking spray. I add garlic when I cook
the chicken. Cut the cooked breasts up and put them in a food processor. They
should come out chunks about 1/3 of an inch or so round. Don'tover do it. You
don't want paste but you do want the chunks small enough to reconstitute easily.

RAMAN NOODLES

If you reconstitute the Raman noodles in cold water for about 10 minutes or
so, then pour off the water, you can save the trouble and clean up of boiling
them. Just add the reconstituted noodles, along with what ever else goes in the
recipe,with the required boiling water to reconstitute the other ingredients.

BOILINGWATER

Hot water and boiling water are pretty much interchangeable. It just has to
be hot enough to still be as hot as you like it after it's reconstituted
everything ..... if you know what I mean.

OIL REPLACES FAT

Dehydrated food tastes much better if you add a tablespoon or so of oil when
youre-hydrate it. I like both extra virgin olive oil or canola oil. Neither
add much taste themselves but fat is a flavor carrier and makesfood seem to
taste better. That's why we like it.

1SERVING OF MASHED POTATOES

1 tsp.ButterBuds
1 1/4tbsp. dry milk
2/3 cupflakes
2/3 cupwater

MEASURES

1/2 of a package if Butter Buds is 1 1/2 tbsp.
2 1/2tsp. Butter Buds = 2 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup milk is made from 21/2 tbsp. of dry milk
4 tbsp.= 1/4 cup
5 tbsp.+ 1 tsp. = 1/3 cup
1 cup of lemonade is made with 1/4 tsp. Crystal Light powder
1/3 cup Milkman added to 1 cup cold water makes 1 cup milk ( true of all
drymilk)