[at-l] Keeping warm in "cold" weather warning (especially for"newbies")

Actually it is almost impossible to get a 100% American made product these
days.  Many "sub-assemblies" come from other countries (see PS).  And their
original thing was selling low-cost "quality" items and acting the way
home-town stores did.  The American Made thing came later.  And they held
out for a long time.  But like I said, it is almost impossible to get 100%
American Made.  Even when you are willing to take "mostly" American made,
the price and quality is not always that great.  You can either get better
prices from foreign made goods for a comparable price (see P2S).  And things
have gotten worse since Mr. Sam passed on his stock to his kids (they are
mostly non-participants in the running of the company).

William, The Turtle

PS    When I worked for Springs Industries, at first we made GREAT products
that were 100% American made cotten goods.  From the cotten to the finished
product.  But as times for the textile industry got rough, we started
importing raw cotton cloth form Packistan, Indonesia...  And most of that
cloth was nothing but trouble to run through our machines.  But it was so
dirt cheap that it slowly took the place of 100% American cotton cloth.

P2S    The reason foreign products are so cheap is two fold: 1) LABOR is
more than dirt cheap.  You have people working for daily wages that American
workers would not touch for 1 hour.  Benefits are usually non-existent.  Job
protection is non-existent.  Safety...  The most expensive part of any
American product is the LABOR.  Outside of the US, it is so cheap that there
is no way that American products can compete.  2) American government rarely
protects American made products in the US.  Even though the foreign
competitiors are often subsidized in their home countries -- sometimes
through backdoor means and sometimes through the front door.