[at-l] Trip Report: Crawford Notch Area

    Set out yesterday morning to find Jan Liteshoe and Chief.  They were
planning to hike from Garfield Tent Site to Crawford Notch at big 18 miles of
White Mountain peaks.  There is a lot of 4000 footers in that section.  In NH
above 4000 feet is above tree line.

    I left Crystal Lake (home) about 8 AM and promply ran into traffic
because of construction.  Reached the trail head shortly after 10 AM.  There was an
older lady sitting in a lawn chair with a book in her hands I assumed waiting
for a family member to do a section of trail.  I started up the hill south
bound toward Ethan Pond.
    In a short time I met Cobra and Splash heading north.  They have spent
some time with Jan and Chief but had no idea that they were so close.  Cobra and
Splash spent the night at Zealand Falls Hut on a work to stay plan.  Their
task was to talk with the guests about the AT and offer a Q & A session.  They
left early hoping to reach Mizpah Hut in time to pick up the work for stay
position there.  They were going to hike 7 mile from Zealand to Crawford Notch
then a very tough 7 miles up Webster Cliff and on to Mizpah.
    About one hour later I met Amble heading north.  He was also entertaining
the idea of work to stay at Mizpah.  A young couple out for three days
complained of sore feet.  She seemed happy but was struggling with each foot step.
    I made it to Ethan Pond by noon.  Spent some time with the care taker.
He said 4 thru hikers spent the night in the shelter.  Two were Chicken Feet
and Flanders who I met in the Smokies in March.  The other two got up extra
early hoping to get the work to stay positions at Mizpah.  Thye certainly must
have beat Cobra and Splash.
    The 5 mile hike from Ethan Pond to Zealand Hut was a gradual up first
over numerous   bog bridges.  Then along an old logging rail road bed.  A few
land slides disrupted the easy path way.  I passed several more north bound
hikers. Most looked like day hikers.  Some could have been ultra light thru hikers.
 I didn't ask.
    I reached the Zealand Hut around 3 PM.  There was no signs of Liteshoe
and Chief so I settled in for a wait.  Many people around the hut allowed me to
entertain and be entertained.  I recognized one fellow as a thru hiker Caddis
by his beard and pack.  He was waiting for his partner.  About 1/2 hour later
Chief then Liteshoe arrived.  Caddis recognized them and asked if they had
seen his partner Freemont.  wow, I knew Freemont from the Smokies.  Jan said
Freemont has passed them several hours ago.  But I did not see him on my 8 mile
hike up to the hut.  Five minutes later Freemont walked to the hut.  He had
taken a little bath in the pool up trail from the hut.  He is 50 lbs lighter than
when I hiked with him in the Smokies.  He looks good.
    We talked awhile.  Jan bought some soup from the Croo.  We watched the
guests and day hikers come and go.  Took off our boots to give our feet an
airing and let our boots dry out a bit.  About 5 PM we set out to do the hike from
Zealand Falls back to Crawford Notch (about 8 miles).  Jan and Chief had
already hiked 10 miles.  They were about to hike 8 more miles.  Eightteen miles in
the Whites is a rugged day.  We stopped at Ethan Pond Shelter for a brief
break.  Then continued on our way.  We reached Crawford Notch about 8:30 PM.  It
was getting very dark as we approached my truck.  We headed into North Conway.
Got some food at Subway then I dropped them off at Suz Buchanon's home.
    It was a nice day for a hike.  The rain has finally stopped for awhile.
I made it back to Crystal Lake about 11:30 PM.

                                                Art