From: amy [mailto:askowronek@mindspring.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 10:55 AM
To: at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] Lightweight gear lists?

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 10:52  PM, Kelly Whitman wrote:

>>> 2 titanium pegs
>>
>> 2?  Why 2, specifically?
>
> Er... for staking down the rain fly?  Stakes.  Maybe peg was the wrong
> word.  I've lived in so many places I never know what people call what
> where I am, LOL.

I was just thinking you might want 4.  But some people are happy with
two, too.
For the Hennessey I use two to stake out the hammock, and two to stake
out
the fly.  Sometimes I use the same peg for both the hammock and the
fly, but
it depends on terrain.

>>> silnylon combination rain poncho/pack cover (will make)
>>
>> Think about adding some kind of leg strap.  My poncho moves
>> around on me a lot.
>
> That's interesting.  How far down does your poncho go?  Where would
> you add a strap to it?  I was planning on making it more of a long
> rain jacket, like the Packa (I came up with the idea of a poncho/pack
> combo cover the other night and then I found out about Packas the very
> next day.  Rats!!  Thought I had a marketable idea, there).  Since I'm
> making it myself I can customize it (I can sew and I don't need see
> the need to pay $110 for something when silnylon is $2.50/yd).

My poncho goes down to mid shin.  I think I'd add a loose elastic strap
on each
side above the knee, maybe.   The front of my poncho keeps shifting
from side
to side.  It's so annoying that I quit using it.  (I never had flapping
problems though..
maybe because I'm close to the ground?  :)

Personally, I much prefer a rain skirt, jacket, and pack cover to the
poncho now.
That way I know my pack is protected if I take it off.  Of course, the
rain cover doesn't
keep it as dry as the poncho..  but now I keep a trash bag liner so it
doesn't matter
as much.

I really have to learn to sew so I can make a permanent rainskirt out
of silnylon.
Or possibly a rain kilt.

-amy