[at-l] Lightweight gear lists?

In a message dated 8/13/03 6:59:14 AM, thornel@attglobal.net writes:

<< And I request some gear reports on Packas and the
like. I have been in some pretty hard blowing rains in
ponchos, and didn't like becoming a sail. I have
gotten used to dealing with raingear and trash
compacter bags inside my backpack. I think Packas
would have all of the additional problems of ponchos,
but I'd be keen to be disuaded of that bias. >>

Eddie custom made a Packa to fit over my large external frame pack.  I used
the Packa on my month long hike of the AT in March.  I experienced heavy
driving rains, blizzard snow conditions and straight downpours.  The packa worked
like a rain jacket as far as wind is concerned.  It did not become a sail
because it fits like a rain jacket but covers your backpack as well as your body.

                                                Art