[at-l] Lightweight gear lists?

In a message dated 8/12/2003 11:23:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
David.Jessop@oberlin.edu writes:

> When was your start date and end date?

Let's see, I started 3/10/97 and finished 9/23/98.  It was a long hike.

> Did you find your gear adequate? What, if anything, would you change if
> you were to do it again?

I found my gear more than adequete on that hike and changed everything.  On
the AT I used a Dana Terraplane, a 4lb. synthetic sleeping bag, a SD
Clipflashflight, a whisperlite, stainless steel pot, gore-tex jacket, etc.  My
packweight leaving Springer was 50 lbs.  It's taken me 2 other trails to get my gear
and weight where I want it.

> Do you have an idea of your total packweight?

If I were to start the AT northbound, I'm guessing my packweight would be
about 25 lbs with food and water.  Closer to 35 southbound to Monson.  On the CDT
several times my packweight approached 40lbs. or possibly more.

> How did you find the ULA-P2? I am considering thru-hiking in a$20 Outdoor
> Products daypack I bought at Walmart or buying the ULA-P2. Thoughts?

I think the P-2 is a great pack.  It has everything I was looking for to hike
the CDT, but obviously would work on any other trail as well.  My main
concerns were finding a mid size light pack with an internal frame, suspension, load
lifters, etc.  I knew there be times where I'd be carrying up to 9 days of
food and/or 4 to 5 liters of water.  I didn't go big on the options, just the
large mesh front pocket, stash pocket and a pole pocket. Although I could have
found lighter pack, at 2.5 lbs I'm more then happy with the P-2.

The Walmart daypack may work.  Load it up and hike a few days in conditions
similar to the AT.  There's also several outfitters early on where it could be
easily replaced if it didn't work out.

Sly

PS Another piece of gear I forgot.  A pack cover.  Last year I used a thin
plastic garbage bag.  IAlthough it had to be patched with duck tape on several
occasions it lasted the entire trail.  Oh yeah, duck tape.  Never hike without
duck tape!