[at-l] Owie

> On Sunday, August 10, 2003, at 09:51  PM, Billie H. Cleek wrote:
>
> > This brings up something interesting, and I'm curious about other
> > hikers' experiences:  I've never sprained my ankle.  There have been
> > many occassions where my ankle twisted on a rock or a root, or a hole,
> > but invariably my ankle twists, I give at the knee (sometimes almost
> > laying my calf to the ground), and continue on without hardly missing a
> > beat.  Have I been lucky, or am I unusually flexible in my ankles?
> > Perhaps my natural reaction differs from others, and that's what saves
> > me?
> >

> I think you're both lucky *and* flexible.  :)
>
> I've done the flex and keep going thing many a time, as
> has most everyone else, I'm sure.  But sometimes things
> happen too fast, or there's a rock or root in the wrong place,
> or any number of other circumstances.
>
> FWIW, my ankle sprain in June happened while I
> was walking down a suburban sidewalk.
>
> -amy

As I said, my sprain was from a motorcycle accident. The bike went down on
its left side and slid. I rolled onto my chest on the road and my ankle was
badly twisted under the bike. I've turned ankles many times on the trail
with no sprain because I usually catch myself. I'm concerned now though that
my left ankle may be more prone to a repeat injury. If your ankles sprain
easily you might want to talk to a physical therapist about ways to
strengthen your ankles.

Saunterer